Teeth whitening is one of the most common procedures done by professional dental practices and can be done here in our Lansing office. Whitening procedures help restore the life and brightness of people with dull, stained, or discolored teeth.
As a person ages, adult teeth often become darker in nature due to changes in composition, enamel being worn away, or outside sources like certain foods and drinks. The most common foods and drinks that cause discoloration are:
- Sauces (soy sauce, tomato sauce, and other deeply colored sauces)
How Teeth Whitening Works
While teeth whitening agents like strips, toothpaste and other over the counter, store bought products may assist somewhat in resolving the surface stains on your teeth, the best way to have safe, long-lasting results is to make an appointment for professional teeth whitening. If done professionally using techniques such as Zoom or custom made bleaching trays, whitening can last as long as up to 5 years or longer (depending on personal habits the options followed for maintenance).
Benefits of Teeth Whitening
- Treats and corrects the spotted or stained tooth
- Can boost self-confidence
- Works for people of any age
- If done professionally, no side effects
- Long lasting results
The best teeth whitening options:
- Zoom teeth whitening: The dental hygienist or assistant uses a special light to whiten teeth that is completed in one office visit and produces immediate, long-lasting results. The process only takes about one hour and has an average improvement rate of eight shades.
- Tray Whitening: A dental hygienist or assistant will take a mold of your teeth to make your own custom, take home mouth trays. These trays are then worn at night OR for a brief time during the day, depending on what kind of gel in the dentist recommends for the tray.