Our teeth are coated with a layer called enamel which gives white color to teeth. Yellow layer lies below enamel called as dentin. When the enamel gets stained or stripped, the yellow layer is revealed.
Poor oral hygiene, unhealthy food habits, certain illness and medication are the causes of yellow teeth. While both smoking and chewing tobacco strips the enamel layer. Fresh lemon juice can be used as a natural home remedy to whiten teeth quickly.
Can lemon juice whiten teeth?
Here is how lemon juice can help to whiten the teeth.
- Lemon is a great source of vitamin C that lightens the teeth. It acts as a bleaching agent that clears the yellow discoloration.
- It contains citric acid that stimulates the saliva production which cleanses the mouth.
- The acidic and anti-bacterial properties of lemon juice help to kill mouth bacteria, give brighter teeth and prevent several oral diseases.
- The natural sweet smell of lemon juice helps to freshen the mouth.
How to Use Lemon Juice for Teeth Whitening:
You can use lemon either by gargling or scrubbing your teeth with lemon peel.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of water with 1 teaspoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Use this to brush your teeth for a minute thoroughly.
- Wash with water and brush your teeth with your regular toothpaste.
- Or apply it on the teeth with your fingers and leave on for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Make sure to rinse your mouth with clean water
- Repeat twice a week.
2. Lemon Peel
- Peel a lemon and apply this lemon peel on he teeth.
- Rub it all over the teeth for a minute or two then rinse with water.
- Continue doing this process regularly.
- Or blend lemon peel with water to make a fine paste.
- Use this to brush your teeth then rinse off thoroughly with clean water
- Repeat three times a week.
3. Lemon with Salt
- Mix1 teaspoon of salt in 2 – 3 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice and use as a toothpaste.
- Let it sit for few minutes and rinse it with water thoroughly.
- Or use a toothpaste which contains salt or lemon extracts.
- Or apply diluted lemon juice on your teeth and leave for 5 minutes.
- Massage your teeth with sea salt with your fingers then rinse with clean water.
- Follow this process twice a week.
4. Lemon with Baking Soda
When lemon juice is mixed with baking soda, it locks calcium in the enamel to strengthen and whiten the teeth.