Delicious and dessert-like, bananas are a fruit preferred by a vast majority of humans. They are usually one of the first foods we are given because they digest easily and offer such optimal nutrition, but did you know that they are also excellent as a compound to use to whiten the teeth?
That’s right, the high amounts of potassium, magnesium, and manganese in the ripe banana can be applied to the teeth to remove stains and whiten them. Below are the steps we suggest if you want to use this folksy, homemade, and proven method:
- Get a banana that is just ripe (it may still have trace amounts of green at each end, but not too much). Using a banana at this level of ripeness ensures that the peel contains optimal levels of potassium (which is the substance that really brightens the teeth);
- Open the banana like a monkey does by peeling it from the bottom end and upward. Not only does this prevent all of those strange banana “threads” from appearing, but it also lets you have more control over the peel;
- Take a small piece of the inside of the peel (you can use kitchen shears to cut off a manageable square) and begin gently rubbing this along your teeth;
- Keep the application going for two minutes and be sure you are covering each of the teeth as much as possible with the material inside of the peel;
- As you rub and pass the time, the minerals will be absorbed into the teeth and begin to promote the whitening.
In addition to the minerals already listed, you will also discover that banana peel contains high amounts of calcium and vitamin D too. These are going to strengthen the teeth and help them to really absorb the minerals better.NEW PATIENT OFFER!
Our team at Southeast Family Dental would love the opportunity to build a personal relationship with you and provide you with lasting dental work that looks and feels great.
Are there other “old wife’s tales” that work like this? Yes, actually there are two other household materials that you can apply to the teeth for whitening. Surprisingly enough they are strawberries and baking soda. Most people know that brushing with baking soda will often whiten the teeth, but when you combine one strawberry with 1/2 a teaspoon of baking soda you can create a pink and fruity pulp that (when applied for five minutes) will generally brighten the teeth.
Be aware that both bananas and strawberries have lots of natural sugar, so apply only once per day or even just once per week to be safe.