White teeth are the secret to a confident smile. Flashing them not only brings comfort when meeting new people, it exudes confidence, which in turn boost one’s charm and sex appeal. However, most men feel they don’t have enough time or money to keep their fangs whiter than milk, with the assumption being that along with a treatment costing in the hundreds of dollars, we'd also have to give up our favorite vices (coffee, tea, sweets) — not exactly sacrifices most men are willing to make.
But this is 2017, and at-home teeth whitening products are all the rage, making a huge impact on our appearance without requiring too much effort. Be it advanced toothpastes or enamel polishers, there are enough options on the market to maintain your teeth. Here are some over-the-counter methods to consider:
- Bleach trays: These mouth guards use lighting and whitening gel to fight surface stains.
- Mouthwash: Oral rinse formulated to break down germs and clean teeth when swilled around the mouth.
- Oral-cleaning devices: Electric toothbrushes define this category and are designed to squeeze through the nooks and crannies of your teeth to eliminate grime.
- Topicals: Be it a gel or powder, each composition boasts special ingredients that kill germs and bleach teeth.
- Whitening strips: The most common of the batch, these adhesive bands mold to your teeth and release peroxide that restores them to their natural color.
Not all products are formulated to perfection. Some contain potentially harmful chemicals that do more damage to your teeth than a pack of cigs. These are just some of the toxic ingredients to avoid:
- Diethanolamine: An organic compound that can lead to increased risk of liver and kidney cancers.
- Glycerin: When scrubbed on teeth, it leaves residue and accelerates tooth decay.
- Hydrated Silica: A substance made from a crystallized compound found in quartz, sand, and flint that damages tooth enamel.
- Microbeads: Little plastic beads used to remove plaque that can damage tooth enamel and gum tissue.
- Sodium Fluoride: An active ingredient for pest control that in large doses can interfere with calcium metabolism.
- Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS): Known to damage skin tissue and decrease the amount of alkali-soluble fluoride deposited on dental enamel.
- Sorbitol: Sugar alcohol that can cause stomach issues and chronic diarrhea.
- Triscolan: An antibacterial chemical linked to a variety of health issues including breast, prostate, and testicular cancer.
Granted teeth whitening may seem like a feat that should be left to movie star dentists, oral hygiene products have ramped up their game and treatments these days are easy and quick to use. Most importantly, they’re affordable. We’ve dug up the cream of the at-home-teeth-whitening crop and, lucky for us, the results won't take long to spot.
Glo Personal Teeth Whitening Device
Best For: Overall whitening
Though more expensive, GLO's teeth whitening device is the most "legit" on the list because it has the least amount of cons without losing any pros. The machine is extremely easy to use, fast-acting, and won't give you any toothache whatsoever. It also acts as a mouth freshener releasing zinc gluconate to kill bacteria and halitosis. G.L.O. (Guided Light Optic) technology works with heat and lighting to accelerate the whitening process, preserving the whitening oxygen from the tooth surface. A hand-free design provides convenience with automatic pre-timed eight-minute sessions, allowing users to control the setting on how white they want their teeth to be.
0.00 at Amazon.com
Rocky Mountain Essentials Tuxedo Tooth and Gum Powder
Best For: All-natural cleaning
Half teeth whitener, half oral detoxifier, this specialty powder is composed from all-natural ingredients including activated coconut charcoal to promote healthy dentures and gums. This complex is billed to purge teeth of stains faster than whitening strips with some Amazon reviewers seeing results in as little as 24 hours. Substitute it for your current toothpaste to remove stains, dip your toothbrush in it, and freshen the hatch with soothing trails of mint and orange peel extract. To assure its authenticity, Rocky Mountain offers what it calls a “Bullet-Proof” guarantee, where dissatisfied gents can get their full money back.
$24.67 at Amazon.com
Arm & Hammer Whitening Booster
Best For: Consistent whitening
Fancy a quick fix for super-tidy ivories? This powerful teeth-cleaning solution comes loaded with 3x more whitening agent than your favorite whitening strip. That means it’s capable of removing surface stains in a matter of two days by unleashing a burst of peroxide to bleach teeth. Squeeze some over your toothpaste and brush in normal fashion to achieve the most effective outcome. A tube is said to give you a good two to three months use depending on the shade of yellow present on your teeth. Consistency is key when using the product, so make it part of your morning grooming routine.
$10.39 at Amazon.com
Oral-B Pro 7000 SmartSeries Electric Toothbrush
Best For: Brushing
Take the more traditional approach to plaque removal with Oral-B’s smart electric toothbrush. The Pro 7000 supports multiple cleaning modes — Daily Clean, Deep Clean, Gum Care, Sensitive, Tongue Cleaner, and Whitening — all of which activate the CrossAction brush head that features a bristled angled at 16 degrees to lift plaque from between your teeth. Oral-B designed the toothbrush to meet your oral health needs by making it compatible with all the brand’s brush head refills. The device even serves as a digital dentist, sending real-time feedback to your smartphone, where a mobile app tracks brushing habits and sensitivity, while promoting optimized teeth-scrubbing techniques. That’s brushing smarter.
$119.00 at Amazon.com
Brilliant HD Deluxe Teeth Whitening Kit
Best For: Professional whitening
Now, this is professional-grade. So professional-grade, you'll probably see results after your first or second application. The whitening kit boasts the same high-grade carbamide peroxide most dentists employ and doubles as an oral pain reliever to relieve canker sores and other irritations inside the mouth. Just don't go overboard with the gel because your gums will sting, but apart from that you'll be set with whiter teeth. The trays are easily heat-molded to your teeth to make the whole affair easier and more comfortable. Up to 15 treatments come in the package to tackle two weeks worth of whitening.